I’ve always had the gift of being able to see the best in others. Call me too trusting, naïve, whatever. I don’t care. I love this talent of mine.
Since becoming a StrengthsFinders coach, I realize now that this talent is developed in me even more. Now, instead of just noticing, I can actually use my training to help people develop those assets.
Sure, that’s fun and gratifying. More importantly, this ability to see the best of others really, truly inspires awe in me.
- I see so much kindness and compassion. Not just from loved ones, but from stranger to stranger. A kind word. A helping hand. A joke to break up a tense moment.
- I see so much talent and excellence. People who naturally do the impossible with ease, and oftentimes unknowingly. The results can range from a perfect serve to the tiny wonders of technology like our cell phones.
- I see so much love. Not only the sacrifices we make for those we love, but the deep connections we can form with each other, even if we don’t know each other.
- I see so much faith. Faith in the goodness of others, in the connection we share, and our ability to make positive change in the world.
- I see so much generosity. Those who give their money, yes, but also those who give of their time, their wisdom, their talent, their spirit.
I know that every single one of us has one or more of these awe-inspiring qualities. It’s our challenge, and thus our opportunity, to discover these qualities in ourselves and each other regardless of our pre-existing beliefs, biases and stereotypes. It’s worth the effort: imagine walking through the world literally surrounded by one phenomenal person after another. Imagine.